Saturday, April 19, 2014

Blog Post # 13

What Did I Leave Out?

What can we do to prevent student misbehavior?

Watch the following links to begin the ongoing journey to improve classroom management.

Positive Discipline Strategies Yield Quick Results

Top 10 Proven Classroom Management Tips for Teachers

Practical classroom management



Classroom management is so important to the instructional day. Students will learn much more when a teacher is able to teach uninterrupted. A teacher’s role in the modern classroom is a very demanding but very rewarding as well. The way the year will play out depends on how the expectations for behavior are put into place in the beginning of the year, starting from the minute the child walks into the classroom for the first time. There is a popular saying in education, “Don’t smile until at least after Christmas.” The general rule of thumb is to use only ‘tough love’ during the first semester. I am not sure if I agree with those anecdotal quotes per say but I do think that a teacher should not be a child's friend. I believe teachers should show we are firm, fair and care. Rules and procedures should be established from the start and consistent consequences should follow without any leeway or wavering. Give them an inch and they will take a mile!

Another way to prevent student misbehavior is to learn preemptive strategies to limit or negate the reinforcement of negative behavior. Rob Plevin has created a series of video’s to help an educator learn the skills needed in order to prevent the actions and reactions in the negative behavior cycle. The teaching profession is one where experience is really the best way to learn, are you going to gain that experience the easy way or the hard way?



Words used to describe children with problem behaviors.

2 comments:

  1. Alexandria, I really enjoyed reading this blog. It is a topic that, indeed needed to be covered. Children in todays classrooms are acting out more and more. I giggled a little bit at your saying, "Don't smile until at least after Christmas." I have never heard that; I like it. Ill have to remember that when I start working in my future classroom. I agree with you, when you say that a teacher should not be a students friend. However, I do believe that the student needs to be aware that if they are having a personal issue that he or she can come to you and discuss their situation. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this blog post! I will definitely have to look at Rob Plevin's videos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alexandria! I could not agree with you more. Discipline concepts are essential to classroom management. I believe that you have to be a stern teacher in regards to following the rules you set at the beginning of the year. As you said, give them an inch and they will take a mile! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete